A Summer School in Sentences
For the past two weeks (the last two weeks of July), my fellow TFD fellows and I taught summer school for 9th graders in Berlin. These two weeks may have been among the most amazing, life-changing weeks of my life …probably because they involved teaching, learning, and a whole lotta living!
- (Tue) Sharing an apartment in Berlin with 12 people, and I thought college is over?!! 😀
- (Wed) Reunited with one part of the NRW team as of 8 o’clock this morning – I couldn’t be happier to work with these people!
- (Thu) Checked out some amazing Berlin swing dancing last night and met a friend from Boston, what are the odds?!
- (Fri) Our English classroom looks like the perfect little get-away spot with its gaming hall, bar, etc. and I’m intending to keep it that way for my own classroom!
- (Sat) It’s the weekend in Berlin, and I’m spending my time strolling around flea markets, coffee slurping, sight-seeing, and swing dancing!
- (Sun) Sunday mass at the Catholic cathedral with the craziest summer thunder storm outside – ominous and beautiful at the same time! And… met a swing dancer in the service!
- (Mon) THE KIDS ARE HERE AND THEY ARE AWESOME!
- (Tue) The English team won the kick-off battle this morning! …What can I say, they are, as they named themselves, simply The Professionals!
- (Wed) Gave my first English lesson this morning and I swear, from now on, I am Ms. Guntram, the much cooler version of my last name!
- (Thu) When preparation and inspiration meet, everything good inside of me wants out!
- (Fri) One of the girls came out to me today. It’s only been a week, and I’m already prouder than proud of them!
- (Sat) Got bangs early this morning to kick off my teaching career with a BANG!
- (Sun) Let’s all let our lights shine bright and spend lazy Sunday afternoons in laundromats and read poetic little notes right on the curb!
- (Mon) One of my students has two dads and two moms, one is from Syria and wants to become a policeman to protect ALL people who live in Berlin, and one asked me if I believe in magic. I sure do, Sir, and even more so believe people and love!
- (Tue) Ups and downs and roller coaster feelings all around! Also, I used hairspray instead of deodorant. …It’s been that kind of a day.
- (Wed) Still roller-coaster-ing but today more so inside of me, not the team. Not going swing dancing tonight, it’s time to run for a while.
- (Thu) Received some moving words – as part of a secret little series, it seems. And replied.
- (Fri) More moving words all around, stellar certificates for the best summer students ever, two surprise-roses, many hugs, even more tears, and a final meeting inside the little bubble. Leaving the school for one last time, hopping on the train to a different world of mine, and realizing that purpose has come – and come to stay for a while!